Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Arizona House Hunting Sucks!

This is the first time that I (Greg) have ever written a post on my families blog. I am sure that Allie will probably delete this when she gets up in the morning.

Well as many of you know by now that we are house shopping. When we first started looking a few months ago we were excited. Allie and I talked about what we wanted in a house and came up with 5 things the house must have.

1. Big Kitchen, we are sick of the small kitchens that come with apartments.

2. Separate Tub and Shower in the Master. I could care less but Allie demands that this is a must.

3. A nice sitting area that we could put a piano and a family room set.

4. Playroom/Den/Office just to have a spare room that we could throw anything in.

5. A Big TV/Family room so I could fantasize about putting a big TV and surround sound in, though in all reality I would only be able to put my 18"" big box tv that has terrible sound and picture so most of the time I have to make my own sound effects. (I am really not all that bitter that everyone has a flat screen besides me.)

So after this list was established we started looking. After a couple of outings we found a home that had all of these things and that was in our price range. We were excited and put an offer on it. Then when we went back to the house the next day there were cars parked all over the street the neighbors looked like the type that smoke pot for fun, and some had thrown Dog poo on the front door step. Though I work at PetSmart dog poo is not a good thing:)

We took the dog poo as a sign that maybe nice neighborhood should be on the top of the list, thus we withdrew our offer.

We went out several more times and found another house that we thought would be great, it had a little more fixing up to do but for what we would be paying for it, it would be worth it. It had a great nieghbor hood was 22oo sq ft single level. Allie just loved this house. We offered 10,000 more then the asking price trying to seal the deal and then when our realitor called us he told us that we were not even close to the investor who's offer got accepted. According to our realtor he offered 35,000 more then the asking price. We were disapointed but went back to looking.

This last house we thought for certain would be the house. It had everything on our list plus some. The master was a suit. It had its own sitting or TV room added on to it and a closet that was as big as a bedroom. The Kitchen was huge and beautiful. The TV already had surround sound built in. It had a huge lot for Arizona. The neighborhood was amazing. LoraLee giggled non stop the first time we looked at it.We put the offer in and it got accepted we were on cloud nine.

Then we brought my good friend over who works for Layton Construction to take a peak before we paid $400 for the inspector and he found out that there was structural damage on more then half the house. He also pointed out sink holes and where window's were ready to break and some have cracked because of that purpose. So after the report and after he showed us everything we walked away from a dream house that was built poorly.

The search continues.

4 comments:

Jessica Rodgers said...

Will you guys please come look in maricopa I know it is more of a drive but it is worth it. There will be everything on your list and we would love to have you guys out here.

Dorothy said...

We don't have a flat screen, don't feel bad.

Pearson Family said...

I have to laugh at this post because 1 year ago I was in your shoes trying to find a nice house at a nice price. Memories.....

Still, I like your sound effects. It would be a shame if you stop making them just because you get surround sound.

Greg said...

We would love to move to Maricopa, because of their great floor plans and cheaper market but with Allie and I working in North Phoenix it would be just too hard.

Sharon, I am glad you like my sound effect's but Allie and even LoraLee tell me to be quiet more and more lately. I think the big screen is turning into a need and not a want for them.